3 Secret techniques to disable windows 10 updates
There is no bigger Windows ten difference of opinion than its policy of forced updates. whereas nice in theory, several|for several} users the truth of updates that transfer and install mechanically has been awfully completely different and also the question on many users lips is: however does one stop them?
Now we’ve associate answer: with 3 potential choices. every has its own execs and cons, thus scan on to seek out out that is most fitted for you.
Word of Warning: automatic updates ar generally an honest factor and that i advocate going them on generally. in and of itself these strategies ought to primarily be used for preventing hard|a hard|a difficult} update from mechanically reinstalling (the alarming crash loop) or stopping a probably troublesome update from putting in within the initial place.
Limitations – For Windows ten Home users there’s no thanks to stop security updates. These aren’t delivered victimisation the Windows Update Service, however i’d not advocate stopping them in any case. The strategies below ar to allow you power over feature and driver updates, less essential areas wherever i feel users ought to have management.
Techniques 1 : Stop The Windows Update Service
* Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
* From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
* In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
To re-enable Windows Update merely repeat these four steps, however amendment the Startup sort to ‘Automatic’
Techniques 2: Setup A Metered Connection
Windows ten offers users on metered connections a compromise: to avoid wasting information measure Microsoft confirms the package can solely mechanically transfer and install updates it classifies as ‘Priority’.
While Microsoft doesn’t reveal its methodology of classification, this will prevent a lot of featherbrained updates which usually embody new drivers and software system options – each of that have already caused stability issues.
* Open the Settings app (Win + I)
* Open the ‘Network & Internet’ section
* Open ‘Wi-Fi’ and click on ‘Advanced Options’
* Toggle ‘Set as metered connection’ to ‘On’
Note: If your laptop uses AN coaxial cable to attach to the web the Metered association choice are going to be disabled because it works with Wi-Fi connections solely (silly I know).
Techniques 3: Group Policy Editor
This is a halfway house: the cluster policy editor can apprize you regarding new updates while not mechanically putting in them (how previous generations of Windows continually worked) – tho’ once more security updates can still install mechanically.
Note: Windows ten Home users got to sit this one out, it’s just for Windows ten Education, professional and Enterprise editions.
Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
* Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
* Components -> Windows Update
* Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 – Notify for download and notify for install’
* Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting